Elmer Blogger

Monday, March 21, 2005

Hajimemashite

What an eventful weekend here in Hong Kong. While I am limping with colds on the northern part of the island the alternative band R.E.M whisks its way through the crowd at Wan Chai Convention Centre. On the East has the gweilos going gaga over the Hong Kong Sevens held at Hong Kong Stadium. Fiji won over New Zealand with legendary Waisale Serevi at helm. The weather is still breezy which in my belief would not help in curing my ailment.

With my apparent disinterest in watching the band whose name earned my Hong Kong nickname, I was asked what band will draw interest in me. With the minimum cost of the REM ticket pegged at 388 HK dollars, it could already buy me a Sarah McLachlan DVD, Linkin Park / JayZ combo and REM's Monster album. I spent at HMV in Central and Causeway Bay listening to their albums. So when asked and if I get the chance I would like to watch the Cranberries, Third Eye Blind, Matchbox20 and Jars of Clay. Too bad Dimebag is dead and Toad the Wet Sprocket disbanded.

I have been reviving my craving for Japanese language. It's no secret I wanted to learn the language because of my strong affinity to Japan from my high school scholarship benefactors, earlier attempt to learn Nipponggo to my four Japanese pen pals during college. I like wasabi, sushi and ramen. I wanted to listen to Japanese conversations much more than Cantonese. I liked listening to Ayumi Hamasaki, Matsu Takako, Smap and Hikaru Utada. Too bad I never got a chance to come there though the closest was the shelved plan to visit my ex flatmate Jun along with Dodo and Karen. Good thing I bought a booklet on Japanese from Lonely Planet and after several months of hibernation, it got its commission duty.

Another good thing about it is that my officemate Ginny is a good Japanese speaker, having taught there for two years. I bring the booklet in the office and if we have lunch I try to communicate in Japanese. Quite awkward but it's worth trying. After all, even if the learning pace is much slower than talking to a non-English speaking Japanese acquaintance, we have a common ground to explain things. I have wanted to meet a Japanese friend here but I had no luck. Good thing my officemate is there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home