Elmer Blogger

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

That scam called Familyfirst


I was walking with a friend in SM Megamall sometime in late 2003 when unwittingly I was approached casually by a man and a woman who were in their formal uniforms asking me if I am interested in listening to a promotion and by listening I will get an umbrella (it was raining then), a bag and wall clock.

I needed to meet someone in Robinson's Place Manila (a three hour ride considering Manila's traffic scheme) by 7pm and it's already 5 so I should simply say "no". But the freaks were insistent and my friend was easily "duped" so I went along.

There did I know that it was Familyfirst, the Berkley (not Berkeley as University of California in Berkeley) International Insurance backed pre-need company registered by the Securities and Exchange Commission. I used to hear stories about the company while I was working at PhilWeb. Philweb's main office is at The Enterprise Tower and share the same building as Familyfirst. People invited who become their policyholders are treated in a different way: they are introduced to the whole crowd in the office as if to say "Mr and Miss so and so has finally made up their mind and decided to join us. Palakpakan natin sila mga kaibigan!". Funny I told myself, but never cared as I would never let myself be part of the modus operandi. Until that fateful vacation in Manila.

Inside the office are tables with curious/forcibly driven inside/hypotized people who unexpectedly find themselves sitting in a corner listening to explanations by men and women with dignified faces; notwithstanding their SM to-buy and to window-shop list in their pockets has been forgone as they will be spending their next hour or so being brainwashed by the so called agents.

There I am approached by a smiling dude who keep on asking about my family, my work and my future plans. The super honest me telling that I have a credit card (his eyes shone brightly in excitement) and I work in Hong Kong has been a problem in the past. So he started to introduce the plans they offer. OK, I said "Sorry this is not in my plan. Can I go now?" He said, "OK, just a few more minutes because I need to explain further". With my mind on the friend who must have been passed for a rendezvous, I did not understand his blabberings. Ocassionally I would hear some people on other table stand up and are applauded by the crowd. Not me, why would I if I do not know if they deserve to be? I want some recognition but I hate to be applauded in this way. So I said to myself, the more they do so the more I would hate to apply in this offer.

I have always been inactive in spending for insurance policies. My first and only policy so far was applied in 1997, a good 8 years ago. Until my interviewer-friend here in Hong Kong offered one from AIA-Philamlife which I accepted without hesitation, that Manulife plan from Ma'am Eve (my friend Lawrence's mom) was my only policy in hand.

That simple "Please take our plan / No I won't but can I go now? / Wait I have to explain further" conversation dragged deeper into the night that my watch showed it's half past 7! I reached for my phone but for some reason the signal was not available. In the end my friend had to say sorry while the traveling bag was given to me.

I would have not posted this blog if not for another friend getting duped of a hard-earned 20,000 pesos. My friend showed me the papers which was signed and that there was a feeling of hypnotism that made her sign the papers so that she could get out of that hell, er office. With a simple wink of an eye, there goes the money that was not invested but kept in their coffers in their bid to retain a good financial stature (at the expense of their non members; those who want to quit but had already signed a no-refund document).

In the office I listen to DZBB's morning programs of Arnold Clavio and Ali Sotto as well as the programs of Mike Enriquez, Joel Reyes Zobel, etc and one of the issues tackled was this scam of Familyfirst. Tulfo would curse them but he himself is helpless as the operation is authorized by SEC and therefore could only warn people to be aware of these tactics.

To end up the supposed complain by my friend, the female manager named Mary Grace was told abuloy nalang namin 'yan sa inyo... My friend's interviewer is named Laurent.

So if ever you come to Megamall's Mega A section and somebody approaches you asking about your credit or atm card with no valid reason, either 1) scamper away 2) pretend to draw a gun from your bag 3) ask for help and shout saklolo!! hinoldap ako ng naka tie! 4) act like a misguided philosopher ("Sir do you have a credit card?", "Yes I have HSBC, Citibank, Metrobank, DBS, BPI, ikaw ilan sa yo?")

Woe to you... Familyfirst.

4 Comments:

  • I was nearly a victim! I got the bags and walk away without signing. Naubos lang ang oras ko.

    Sana SM , etc must be strict as to whom to do business inside, may hodl-up pan pala inside!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Jul 17, 09:09:00 AM GMT+8  

  • This is a story of my friend which happened last November 20, 2008.

    She asked me to spread it to all the people I know….

    I am a mall rat who frequents SM North EDSA, but never have I experienced anything like this nor have I expected to be a victim of this vicious scam. As in sobrang nakapanlulumo. Imagine I lost Php 9,500.00 in an instant!! I never realized that I will be a victim until that fateful day.

    I just got from my office and passed by SM North Edsa, I even spent an hour to stroll, at my watch it was a little past 8pm. I decided to pass by the Basement so I can go through SM Department Store. Suddenly a gay clad in formal attire bumped into me and started asking if I already have a credit card, I said “merun na”, because I was in a hurry and doesn’t want to entertain such people. But to my surprise this gay grabbed my hand and said “sandali lang to mam, may libre po kayong gift sa akin”. I reiterated to him that I was in a hurry but he didn’t listen. Despite my plea, he still insisted and even showed me the tumbler or clock that I could receive. Then this gay asked me to sign a form which he said will entitle me to play a raffle, sort of a slot machine. He started asking me questions like: where do I work? And acted like he was some kind of a friend “feeling close”. But I knew at the back of my mind that it was just a strategy. After filling up the form, he told me that I’ll be playing the slot machine upstairs, with hesitation I just agreed because this gay was so persistent. So we went upstairs, and he led me at the 4th Floor, and there I read the sign “Family First”. I went inside their office, then the snoot receptionist confirmed if I have agreed to finish the Presentation that will take 45 mins. At this point, I was starting to get annoyed and told her that it’s too long. I was about to back out, when another girl made a plea on me to stay. As I was waiting for my turn for their so called presentation, (I even thought it was some kind of an AVP), the gay even offered me iced tea and water, but I refused it. Thank God I refused it, they might have stirred it up with sum kind of sleeping or hypnotizing drug. After 10 mins, a reputable looking girl in her late twenties came out and shook my hand and introduced herself as Cheli. This Cheli girl seated me inside the office, that’s the time I had an idea that the presentation was a one on one thing. Cheli was good in communication and she started asking me a lot of things, which at first I hesitated to answer. She even used a paper as props where she writes everything we discussed upside down so I can easily read it. She asked about my plans for the future and more..Her discussion took an hour. After her explanation told me that in order for me to activate my savings account I need Php 9,500.00 as Initial premium. Then she told me that they will have to check first with the bank if I am allowed to borrow that sum of money. I thought that they will be calling the bank and make some checking. At this point they asked for my Credit Card, and I didn’t know that they will immediately swipe it. Lo and behold! My Php9,500.00 was gone! The girl asked me to wait for the printing of my policy. Whew I got an insurance policy in an hour? OMG!! There I was shocked, dumbfounded and speechless! I was victim of a persuasive syndicate that coerced me to sign something against my will. After handing me the policy I asked Cheli if I will be able to get my P9,500.00 after 1 year, she said yes. But after reading the policy at home, I realized that I will just be getting a fraction of my money after I pay the subsequent premium for 1 year.. so that’s totally BS!(Bullshit!).. Now, I want to throw at their faces the tumbler they gave me… This is not fair, as in na 1-2-3 ako ng ganun ganun lang. I went at SM just to buy something.. and what did it cost me? My Php 9,500.00? I know it was partly my fault because I entertained such people, because I don’t want to be rude. Now I’ve learned my lesson! Abuloy ko na lang ang Php 9,500.00 sa kanila..

    As of now I have no choice but to accept the fact that I was shamelessly victimized by this Scam.. I also checked it out in the net, it’s certified that a lot of people have been victimized. I don’t want to judge those who work under this company, I know you just want to earn a living for your family. But what you are doing doesn’t make you a respectable sales or marketing person. Nanloloko kayo or your taking advantage of people’s innocence.

    That is why I am informing everyone of this.

    Maging maingat po tayong lahat. Don’t give out informations easily. Wag po kayo basta basta mgtitiwala kahit kanino, kahit na po nakikita pa natin sa mga SM Malls ang mga ito. I’ve realized that even management of Henry Sy can’t do anything to stop this scammers. Please let other know about this.. Spread this to all people you know, especially those who go to SM Malls. If you ever encounter this names: DANVIL, FAMILY FIRST, PHILIPPINE PRUDENTIAL LIFE, BERKELEY…Stay away from them!!! They’ve been changing names after names. Ang Insurance po ay pinagiisipan at di kinukuha ng isang oras lang.. dahil po ito ay galing sa ating pinaghirapan… SALAMAT sa PAGPAPAKALAT!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Nov 25, 02:36:00 PM GMT+8  

  • I was a victim of Family First Insurance company in SM Pampangga last January 29, 2009. I was shock na eto na nangyayari sa bansa natin. I cant imagine na nag eexist ito in a descent mall particularly SM Pampanga. Imagine a lost 16,800 pesos in a less than 1 hour transaction. Para sa lahat po ng OFW mag ingat po kayo sa ganitong klaseng scam. I noticed na ang target nila ngayon is OFW. They will hypnotized u. Be aware po sa ating mga credit card and ATM. If somebody asked for it dont give details. Eto po ay nag eexist along all branches ng SM Department Store. Sila po ung mga holdaper in a corporate attire.

    To SM Management please do something about this scam about Family First Prudential life Insurance Company. Many people will be a victim specialy OFW.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Jan 30, 10:10:00 AM GMT+8  

  • Family First then pag balik ko pina Berkely sound international and the Danvil sound good and then Prudential. really sound I don;'t know. Naku yun nagyari sa akin, payong at wall clock, na hold up ako 67,000 via debit card. Yung nasa hotel ako medyo nagising ako, at tawag ako sa Hotline nila. Na kong pwede ng bawiin. Sabi hindi na. then later nag visit ako sa office nila. pra ma bawi ang pera. Minimum 2 yrs daw. Nag continue akong mag bayad. sa isip ko mabawi ko 67,000 plu yung 2 yrs. Pero yun nag refund na ako doon sa BDO building office nila malapit sa ayala triangle. Mga 8th plus lang ang refund ko. kya prang for ever ko ng dadalihin ang ka palpak kong ginawa.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Sat Dec 01, 09:36:00 PM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home