Elmer Blogger

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Farewell Mr Roco

We lost another losing Presidential candidate in the 2004 elections.

After Fernando Poe Jr, it's now Raul Roco turn to die.

Looking back, I voted for Alfredo Lim in 1998 elections because, apart from the fact that we shared the same birthday, he was credible enough to lead by example. His leadership in the NBI and as Mayor of Manila made me conclude about his capacity. But he lost to Erap and Jose de Venecia.

Now when Erap was ousted in favor of Gloria Arroyo in 2001, I felt there was no chance for Fred Lim to make a comeback. Thus I had a new candidate to consider: "Roco sa Cuatro (Roco in 2004)". That's the exact phrase I remembered as I was on my way home from the rally in Edsa.

He indeed ran again for President but lost to the incumbent. I admit many Filipinos vote based on popularity than qualification, that is why despite his credentials in passing laws such as Anti-Sexual Harassment Law, Child and Family Courts Act, abolition of double taxation for OFWs, liberalization of local banking system by strengthening the existence of thrift banks and the Study Now Pay Later educational plan.

Too bad he is gone. He could be the best President we never had.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home