Elmer Blogger

Monday, June 13, 2005

Rey DJ

I got my own share of a minute of worldwide fame this afternoon when I was greeted by my childhood friend, Rey Bargamento over the radio. That broke the record established by the broadcasts when I won a grocery package from Bombo Radyo and those WRock promotions.

I wonder how many noticed my name. My bad ego wants a little more share of fame and it turns out that I have a good chance of getting that. Today's a holiday in the Philippines, and since tomorrow is the first day of classes in most universities, college students savor the last day of summer's freedom in each other's company, probably texting, joyriding, while listening to www.imix.fm. And since it's telecast over the Internet...

Shame on me (for being KSP).

Anyway more about Rey. He's one of the little guys in the classroom and I knew him since Grade 2. We used to form that dreaded and now-loathed 'Comedian Brothers' with Rodel, Christopher and Jergen. He finished Salutatorian. He joined my class of St Agnes before transferring to SPED in Bangkal. At the time I suppose he got the interest of becoming a radio personality.

In college, his voice can be heard at DXSS-FM and later on at MAGIC 89.1 (later became Killer Bee) christened George Booke, apparently with reference to former US President Bush Snr. I ocassionally meet him on the road and at times I go to his booth, which is not so far from my college campus. When Killer Bee sponsors the Engineering fund raising, Rey was there at Acropolis Disco for the Party Series in the mid-90's. He's no longer wearing that little boy persona I used to see before.

We last stayed in one classroom in 1989 so there were several permutations between us that took place yet as our friendship built during the younger years, it seemed oddly stupid to let it go just because we never went to recess together longer or that he studies in Ateneo and me in UIC.

Just today, when he announced in our Yahoogroups that his station is now live online, I wasted no time to log and listen, even going overboard, entering the chatroom. I do not chat in the office even of colleagues do.

"I'd like to greet my childhood friend [sic] who is in Hong Kong... It's foggy out there [sic]". When my name was mentioned, it was special.

If I were to be asked of any fantasy career I should take, among them would be a DJ, a fireman, air force pilot and astronomer. I did not know one friend embraced one of them wholeheartedly.

Good luck pal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home