Elmer Blogger

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

What a big difference

Read this: http://news.inq7.net/metro/index.php?index=1&story_id=42360

I was late from office due to a colleague's request for help. At 12.56am, Tin Hau or Fortress Hill Stations, the MTR stations closest to the office had the last trips of the previous day. And it's 1.16am in my watch.

I took the cab which I believe won't take more than 15 minutes and twenty five dollars. I hailed one near Zandro's office hoping he will immediately turn left towards Electric Road. But he turned strait ahead towards the direction of Causeway Bay and had no signs of making the opposite direction. I began to suspect he must have misunderstood "Quarry Bay" for "Causeway Bay". I seldom suspect taxi drivers of deliberately misguiding the route to jack up the cost. With his identification card, license plate and "Customer Complaint" number easily read, I see very little sense of them making the abuse. So when I asked him about the intended destination, he was a little agitated and perhaps felt sorry for he was unable to speak English.

We took the expressway which was a smooth ride, overlooking the harbour and the distant lights on the left. When I reached my place, the meter read $34. But he told me to pay only $20 and was even apologetic despite his struggle to prunounce the bill. I got the receipt and he promptly modified the payment printed.

What a big difference that in the Philippines, especially in Manila, taxi drivers are identified as mulcting crocs who are choosy, bad mannered, ill tempered, does not provide a change and even asks for tip for letting you ride their otherwise comfortable taxis. Not all are like that but many are still practicing such behavior (one taxi driver on my ride from San Andres Bukid to Manila Domestic told me the commuters don't understand why taxi drivers are like that; with the traffic, rising fuel costs and the risks of being robbed, they behaved that way). That's why a simple act of honesty, previously regarded as normal, is now revered by the masses and often carry sums of money as reward. Such attitude has almost become extinct.

In my own country I am abused by them. In this foreign land, I am never discriminated by these men behind the wheels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home