Elmer Blogger

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Reminders: Keeping The New Year's Resolution

I believe this is the right time to assess how we are doing in terms of achieving personal goals as listed on our New Year's Resolutions more than six months ago. At June, the time gap between Christmas is the same, backward and forward.

I have my own New Year's Resolutions:

1. Learn Japanese. Owing a chunk from Gloria, my AIA agent who used to interview me for a non-IT related job before, I am now equipped with what it takes to learn Japanese. So far, I did listen to the tapes and read the basic notes once since I got the items last April. I have quite a good urge to learn this language. But everytime I attempt to load the tape, I easily decide to listen to D'Sound or Crowded House instead. Rating: D-

2. Never Get Late in Office. I used to live in South Horizons and since I need to leave home before 8am to beat the dreaded Aberdeen tunnel bottleneck. At that time I am still half awake half asleep in the bus, and while I get an extra 15 minute nap on my way to the office, I seem to be grumpy walking across the Victoria Park. What I did was to move to Quarry Bay which so far, has addressed the punctuality issue.
Rating: B+

3. Travel. Anywhere I can, with no-frills trip the preferred one. I want to go to Korea or Taiwan. Japan is still too expensive for me (maybe Korea too). Palawan or Sagada are more viable option but I'd rather go to Davao or Bohol if I made the choice at the last minute. Bad news: half the year has passed, and still haven't made any single trip. Good news: my annual leave days are still intact, which gives me enough buffer to go on adventure towards the end of the year.
Rating: D-

4. Take care of my health (read: play sports). So far I had made some strides in this one. In my struggle to scrape unwanted stuff in my body, I can tell I am still gaining weight. But I am making headway, I suppose. Although my last squash game was in November with Karen, I was able to play basketball with my officemates as well as my Singles buddies. Playing table tennis was even a bonus. The catch though is that at the time of composition of this blog, my last basketball game was a month ago.
Rating: C-

5. Avoid Going to Office on Weekends. Benjie used to say that staying late in office is a sign of inefficiency. Let alone going to office on weekends. But what if pressing deadlines are haunting that even when you sleep, you dream of coding or discussing the sitemap? Who would want to visit the office if you can wake up late on a Saturday morning? But sometimes at the office we have to. Luckily, I can't recall having to stay in the office on weekends, apart from the March-April Tourisnm Australia Media newsletter.
Rating: A-

What about you? How far have you gone on your own list?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home