Elmer Blogger

Friday, July 01, 2005

Reuniting the PCCWers

Whatever you may call it, it's a mini reunion of sorts. Mini because among the fifteen of us, only five returned for a not so nostalgic rainy night at Chili and Spice in Causeway Bay.

Nino Debonbon, Romeo 'Junjun' Olympia Jr, Edwin Macabutas and Karen Obispo and I used to gather in Starbucks at Pasay Road more than five years ago. Plus a bunch of relative strangers at the time which made the group swell into a mix of personalities and egos: Raymond Ona, Sheila Tablante, Rogelio 'Jun' Rey Jr, Leo Suyat, Ishmael Malik, Daisy Mae Jose, Christopher de Leon, Jay Redor, Martin Fernandez & Nathaniel Jay Meneses to be exact.

With one male and one female celebrity in sight, the area is indeed a magnet of the popular and the wannabes. Dripping roofing adds to the mystic structure of the not-so-crowded eating place with dim lights add up to the suspense of meeting someone you know among the crowd.

I came in late as I have been pounded with little jobs from the office since early in the week. Good thing July 1 is a holiday and it will give us enough time to recharge our batteries as we start the weekend with our SFC marketing campaign.

As usual, Onin is still the same him, with that skinned head fashion he began to adopt when he was still in Hong Kong. The feeling of meeting up again was unexpected as I only got a message from Karen last Monday. Onin now works in Malaysia as senior system analyst for Standard Chartered. It was ironic that as I was in Malaysia last year, I never met him there; I got to meet him when we're both in Bangkok while he was watching the Thai Open Tennis and I was on my cheap and nasty backpacker trip.

I could notice we were more mature now. The way we generate thoughts about something, joke on something and how we handle the conversation. Well, perhaps I am with the most mature in the group; maybe it's a coincidence that we're all in the same table after complicated permutations that took place spanning five years and counting: changing jobs, going out of hong kong, etc.

I used to remember at 7.30pm at our old house in Sai Ying Pun, Leo would be cooking the food and the 'clients' Jay and Jay would come and pay $10 for their dinner. We would snug up at the little sofa and watch the TVB Pearl news. After a while, the talks shift to something nasty that there are numerous ocassions I would lose my patience and insult a few of the guys in the house. Onin and Leo were my flatmates. Later Raymond joined in, shortly before we were counted in The Great Purge at PCCW.

As I partake of the lemongrass and pork chop, jokes circulating were entirely different from what used to be our favorite topics: strange officemate behaviors, Hong Kong people in general and shopping lists. As I need to come back to the office at 10pm, I pursued Onin for photo shoot with Karen, Edong and Junjun and after we had fun on that still camera generating machine, I headed towards the opposite direction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home