Elmer Blogger

Thursday, August 11, 2005

The Pains of a Domestic Helper

We had our usual Christian Life Program last night at Catholic Centre. And since the venue we had also shares the same office with the Migrant Filipino Workers, we occasionally have other visitors apart from our participants.

Last night was no different. This time it was one Filipina who has cut short her contract because she is suffering from ulcer and cannot handle her job as domestic helper any longer. She often lays in bed and is therefore unable to fulfill duties to her employers.

This is the bitter fact of life to some of our domestic helpers in Hong Kong. They spend large amount of money to pay for employment agencies, only to be subjected to work more than 12 hours a day and worse, unfair treatment from employers. This woman was never properly fed during her few months stay. Her Chinese employers must have thought she is a robot; robots themselves have to be fine tuned and are therefore not invincible.

When this woman started to speak in Cebuano dialect, I immediately jumped into the same line asking, "Asa man ka sa atoa?" (Where are you in our land?) She told me she is from Guindulman, Bohol. Both my parents hail from this province, used to be known for backward economy but now saw the promise of eco-tourism. I was only 11 when I last went there but I can recall how tough life there is. As in many remote places in the Philippines, there is much poverty that I am always moved by the sight of them. If I extended help to children in China or the hungry in Sudan, I should help my fellow men as well.

She did not seem to feel in pain, and even conversed with smiles in her distinctive Boholano accent. She must be excited to see her children back home. It was a relief to know she paid her debts while working here in Hong Kong. She would have wanted to stay further and work to earn for her family. Her stomach pain said otherwise.

I feel terrible when I hear these stories. I know I do not need to be wealthy enough to offer help.

At the same time I immediately say a prayer of thanks I have a job and I am healthy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home