Elmer Blogger

Monday, November 14, 2005

Impressions of Japan - Part I


It would be unfair to consider my findings and observations in Japan accurate considering the fact that I only visited Tokyo and my stay only lasted six days. But it does not prevent me from noticing its cosmopolitan beauty with a touch of a genuinely alluring classical Japanese culture.

1. Tokyo Subway
I counted 271 stations composing 12 subway lines: Ginza, Tozai, Hibiya, Morunouchi, Chiyoda, Namboku, Hanzomon, Yurakucho, Asakusa, Mita, Shinjuku and Oedo. The count does not include JR lines and other privately-operated lines. This makes Tokyo among the busiest subway lines in the world. My familiarity with Hong Kong, Manila and Singapore did not help much because of the station signs mostly in Japanese and merely looking at the subway map instill some confusion factor.
As with a number of subway train lines, not all of them use one single type of ticket to take the ride, which left me wondering. Unlike KCR and MTR in Hong Kong -- two different companies that share fare system methods, pedestrian access points, among others -- Japan's railway systems somehow need to exist homogenously as the primary method of transport within Tokyo. Inside the train is a haven for sleepyheads during off-peak hours. A curtained set of ads are all over the place, often promoting magazines (the only recognizable face in the job ad was Koyuki, a starrer of Tom Cruise's Last Samurai).

2. Roponggi
I think this is an area more known as a fusion of Japanese, Asian and Western influences. Embassies, consulates and foreign companies are often located here which is why it's not surprising to see a lot of foreigners here. A spanking new development at Roppongi Hills, the masterpiece of Mori Building, exudes a vibrant picture of modern Japanese architecture. I had a delectable dinner with Jun and Wenee at one of the Japanese restaurants here and could not help but notice the authentic Japanese way of preparing food, complemented with uber-excellence hospitality.

3. Harajuku
The face of extreme Japan whose influence spills out in Hong Kong -- fashion-conscious teenagers in one oxymoronic melange of youth culture. Extreme hairstyle, extreme make up, extreme Gothic and Lolita clothing fashion which favorably ranges from your favorite Disney characters to the Zoids and the Astroboys. Found mostly in the confines of Takeshita Street across the subway station, by the impression I got from their appearance, I hesitated to take a photo of them.

4. Meiji Shrine
Not too far away from Harajuku's ultra experimental dress codes and anime fashion shows is a place that takes you back to the natural world. The Meiji Shrine is a secluded and serene place in the heart of Tokyo that exemplifies the extremes of what Tokyo can offer. Right after crossing the mighty torii gateways, it's all covered with vast array of trees and wide pebblestone pathways leading to shrines I used to tell my students at Philippine International School about this place, and now it's a reality of what was just described by the book. It was raining when I got there and the atmosphere further added up to the feeling that I was on rare flatland on my way to scaling a moderately steep hill. I was expecting falling orange leaves where I could lie and stare at the sky; the leaves were still in the shades of summer and the rain kept me on my feet.

5. Omotesando
I did not know what France's Champs-Elysees would look like until I was told it has resemblance to Omotesando, while walking towards the huge GAP shop at the end of the corner. Big name fashion botiques are lined in harmony with the tiled passages and slender trees. The weather was in late teens and having a walk in this place is at it's ideal, brushing elbows with the elite Tokyo shoppers hopping from one shop to another.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home