Elmer Blogger

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Missing Davao City


It's been barely three months since I last set foot in Davao City, my home place but I miss it so badly that after five-and-half years of being away I am pondering a return for good.

It's never been a secret that I love Hong Kong so much that I stuck to my own conviction to stay even with a series of depressing happenings such as job losses and broken hearts. I just simply like to mix it up with the crowd of Chinese, British, Australia, South Asian, Indonesian, Nepalese and fellow Filipino residents in this vibrant metropolis. Living in one of the world's crowded place may not be too healthy but I have my own way of keeping up with this disadvantage.

I lost two jobs here and I thought those were the end of the line. Somehow there must be a purpose of staying here a little longer. I am a member of Singles For Christ here and in the community I found sense of belongingness. The people are nice and ready to lend a hand when I need one. Special mention to my former flatmates Zandro, Onin/Leo/Raymond (now in KL, Manila and Singapore respectively) and Jun (whose now in Japan), Kuya Mer of CFC, my kumpareng Roy and of course my best friend Karen. They were able ensure my stay in HK is worthwhile. Besides them there were more friends (Filipinos, local Chinese, Indonesian, Pakistani) into the group the persons I consider special.

But nothing could take Davao's charm and beautiful people away from the pedestal. I grew up there, learned the most valuable lessons in life and molded to what I have become (or the lack of it) here. The wonderful people, the laid back lifestyle and the tendency to embrace nature's wonders have been a major factor I love the place more than anywhere else.

Recently I had very memorable exchanges with my childhood friends at our Yahoogroups named mintal_barkadas recalling the nameless faces and unforgettable anecdotes at our grade school creek, gardening class, high school convocations and peculiar personalities. I made it for the purpose of being closer to them no matter if our friendship were loosely knit at times.

Davao's beauty has been tarnished with recent bombing, summary execution of alleged drug dependents and as geographically located in Mindanao, a place known for kidnappers rather than the Philippines's bread basket.

I think I have just been too labored here and would not last fifty years old if the trend continues. As my childhood best friend would quip "assess imong kaugalingon 'mer" (assess yourslf 'mer) on my apparent reluctance to decide where my future would be. I still would want to travel across the other side of the planet and if I am in Davao this dream would virtually be sealing its fate. But for how long will my dreams be fulfilled while I am here?

Davao has and will always be my home.

P.S. Maybe I am broken hearted again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home