Elmer Blogger

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

How Does It Feel To Be Ignored?

Excerpt from "Hidden Messages in Water":

Three separate bins of rice are kept. Each day in the house, the entire family including the kids on the way in and out the door to school participate in this "experiment." To the first bin, loving words are recited such as "I love you." To the second, nothing is said. And to the third, mean words are said, such as "You ugly fool" or any of their own favorite insults. Over time, the three bins showed markedly different stages of decay.

Which do rice bin do you think rotted right away?

The totally ignored bin suffered much worse than the one that was hurled insults. Whether you believe this experiment or not doesn't matter. What resonated with me was that this rung true.

It can come from somebody you cared for. It can be a rejection of a job application. Or by someone who wants revenge or seeking vindication. I surely have done this to someone and now I am reaping the painful fruit in return.

As time passes, this after-effect of indifference remains the sting of being left out, uncared for or even uncriticized. It hurts me more to be ignored than be shouted at.

Elie Wiesel says,
The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.

And George Bernard Shaw:
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity.

I have been indifferent on others, more than just being insensitive but appearing as if I am overjoyed seeing someone plead for my attention and choosing to turn a blind eye on him or her.

Forgive me if I was indifferent, as I wish not to receive such unearthly human attribute.    

I'm only pretty sure that I can't take anymore Before you take a swing I wonder
What are we fighting for When I say out loud I want to get out of this I wonder Is there anything I'm going to miss I wonder How it's going to be When you don't know me How's it going to be When you're sure I'm not there How's it going to be When there is no one to talk to, between you and me 'Cause I don't care How's it going to be Where we used to laugh There's a shouting match Sharp as a thumbnail scratch A silence I can't ignore Like...The hammocks by the doorway we spent time in Swings empty, don't see lightning like last fall when it was always about to hit me I wonder how's it going to be when it goes down Hows it going to be When your not around How’s it going to be When you found out there was nothing Between you and me 'Cause I don't care How's it going to be. How’s it going to be When you don't know me any more And how's it going to be Want to get myself back in again The soft dive of oblivion I wanna taste the soul of your skin The soft dive of oblivion Oblivion How's it going to be When you don't know me any more How's it going to be How's it going to be

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home