Elmer Blogger

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Fair Games

It's humiliating to hear not so nice words from a high ranking public official about the officiating of the SEA Games. Thailand Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra called for fair games after hearing news about unfair judgement on subjective events (sports disciplines that rely on the judges rather than the Olympic motto of faster, stronger, higher) like wushu, gymnastics and diving.

I also feel this is something that has to be looked upon because it disconnects athletes from the real aim of the Games, unity amongst the ASEAN countries.
One Thai taekwondo player had one complain against a local competitor whose back kick earned her points while the Thai's solid ones did not merit such credits.

Same as the Malaysian divers. I expect to hear this type of problems. The Philippines have been blindly cheated in boxing on many occasions but it does not mean it should take its turn to cheat just because the Games is played in its home turf.

I hate the official SEA Games Manila 23 website but often find myself coming back because I could not find an alternative to the thrice a day updated medal tally.

But on the other hand, I like the simplicity of Cebu SEA Games web site and Bacolod's SEA Games web site.

The best SEA Games-related site I see is Team Singapre.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home