Elmer Blogger

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Reader of the band

Despite the distance now from the Church where I am assigned a Mass reader, I was able to make it, if not barely. I have been a lector since I was in high school, even the President of our Lectors Club in my HCM days.

During those days I have to practice at least two times before I do the Mass reading. Now, I barely do it. Thanks to Dinah's Daily Gospel Christmas gift I was able to read the first reading. So when my turn came it was a breeze, but I almost forgot to read the Responsorial Psalm on the next page!

Among the personalities who are Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church regular church goers are former actress Nanette Medved and Starworld anchor Mark Niu. The church is not that big; Immaculate Conception Parish in Mintal is bigger. But with a multiracial audience of which only 12% are familiar to me, it is sometimes scary.

Just like any typical Catholic Church (or even Iglesia ni Cristo or Jesus - The Name Above Every Name sector) Filipinos are workers in the background -- Mass readers, alms collectors, choirmembers, commentators, offerers, etc. Our Lady of Mount Carmel is no different.

I was walking around Wan Chai today and reminisced those days I used to live here. I still want to come back here simply because of the convenience factor: decent eating places along with Mang Ambo and Cinta J Filipino restaurants, 298 and Wanchai Computer Centre, access to MTR's Island Line, bus to the office, walking distance to Causeway Bay and Admiralty and so on. I am okay with South Horizons but the problem of waking up too early, the bus's conspicuously far stop from the office not to mention my relatively expensive rent is way too much. This place is haven for families who want to have enough space for children (I can't imagine that in Wan Chai's crowded streets from 8AM until 11PM). But I am single and often out of home during weekends. Maybe when I am married and have children I would consider this place.

To be fair with South Horizons, its decent housing is a distinct advantage over Wan Chai (anywhere but Star Crest near to the Church is no match). My sunset view from my very own room is romantic. Ample space for daydreaming is available! Park n Shop Superstore is very convenient. And if I want cheaper goods, a market is just a little farther away.

Over Jun's dinner the other night (Mike, Gino, Linda, Karen, Leo and Mia were also there), we were joking that if a tsunami would strike Hong Kong from the South China Sea (knock on wood) It will be me who will drown first; South Horizon is located at an island called Ap Lei Chau in the South of Hong Kong island. I live on first floor and the sea is only about 30 meters away. Knock on wood again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home