Elmer Blogger

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Choir!

I have been a choirmember for the first time here at St Vincent's Church in Hang Hau today. Karen e-mailed me if I could join the group. I declined an earlier invitation since I find the place quite far and it takes me an hour to travel by bus and MTR. But in the end who can say no to my best friend?

Apparently tired from the overnight Simpsons CD burning, I woke up at 8.30am and at that time I should be leaving South Horizons for Po Lam. But I am glad I got there 10 minutes after the expected time of arrival. With the Lenten season's call for fasting, my skipped breakfast is justified (yes, it is the best and most important meal of the day). Coupled with the cold weather, I was starting to complain to myself I should have at least a slice of bread.

St Vincent is more of a chapel than a church. It was my first time to be there so I am glad to have the chance to hear Mass there. The community is as usual filled with Filipina worshippers but a handful of Chinese, French, Korean and American parishioners were there including Starworld correspondent Joe Cairns and wife Jenny Lam of TVB Pearl. Due to Chinese New Year's celebration falling on the same day as Ash Wednesday, distribution of ashes was given today. Again I am lucky I have received this rite this year. To be honest, just like receiving lai see it is my first time to receive ashes this year since I came to Hong Kong.

Gino, Mike, Chito, Jay, Karen, Zandro, Charm, Es and I were there. The singing was done well except that Jay who often exhorted us to increase the volume of our voices. The male melody voices often get drowned by the flood of feminine vocals from the crowd.

We later gad a good yum cha though I would have preferred a hot pot for lunch. Nevertheless it was a blessing for my stomach has been in trouble for not having breakfast.

The weather was cold that I wish I had scarf, bonnet or a pair of gloves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home