Elmer Blogger

Monday, January 10, 2005

Ranking my music

I keep on borrowing compact discs at HK Central Library in Causeway Bay. These are audio CDs many of which are from popular artists. I wonder how many people have actually copied them into their own mp3 collection or burned a separate disc itself. Here, people are fond of listening to music while mobile. Though CD walkman is now a rarity because people prefer light and compact devices as possible, gadgets that come in various shapes and sizes are aplenty. Some listen to their mobile phones, mp3 players, md players while in the bus, MTR or basically anywhere.

It inspired me to dig my collection of CDs and give my rating as to which are my best buys and which are not. Pirated CDs not included.

10. Talk On Corners (The Corrs). The Corrs have been my favorite even before they became popular. The melody of then-unheard of violin and bodhran combination plus the versatile Corrs sisters is truly making this album worth keeping. I prefer to listen to this while doing my web design hobbies.

9. The Best of Gin Blossoms (Gin Blossoms). During my college days in the 90s, punk rock was at its peak. Some were raucous, some were worth banging my head, some were simply noisy with shrieks of neutered cats howlingand some were simply "uplifting". A few of the bands I adore during this period is this band whose songs Hey Jealousy, Found Out About You were outstanding.

8. Version 2.0 (Garbage). What I like in this album is the electronica-driven music powered by synth by the creative Butch Vig. I like When I Grow Up, You Look So Fine, The Trick is to Keep Breathing, but my favorite is Dumb which I often imagine my ex-crush dancing to this tune. Wish I brought it with me back from my vacation in Davao last Christmas.

7. Barbie's Cradle (Barbie's Cradle). This is perhaps my only OPM copy bought ever (I could always think of buying True Faith as well). It's because it captures what I want in music, vibrant, full of energy and melancholic as well. Kudos to Barbie Almalbis. I like all the songs here.

6. Best of Johnny Hates Jazz (Johnny Hates Jazz). Most of the songs are reminiscent of my high school days where life is very much simpler. But it also dates back to my days when I was working in Makati for a short period of time. Shattered Dreams and Different Seasons are the ones I like the most. I wish that I could turn back the clock...

5. Singles Collection Vol 1 (Utada Hikaru). I was in my usual CD listening spree in HMV Central when I tried listening to audio previews at the Japanese section. I was intrigued by the popularity of Hikaru ever since I came to Hong Kong (HK people love Japanese and Korean music besides Cantopop and Mandarin songs) and grabbed one copy. I never regret over this risk. My picks are Moving On Without You, Wait & See, Letters and Automatic. This song had me release a nasty comment: J-pop lords it over Cantonese music.

4. Crossover Gold (Various Artists). Bought at a bargain price of about 25 HKD in Davao's Odyssey music shop, this is probably my best valued piece. A relaxing combination from one of my favorite radio stations brings me feel-good experience while at work. Tracks from Kalapana, Pauline Wilson, Clair Marlo and Eric Tagg are among the best.

3. Out of the Vein (Third Eye Blind). Coming out of my senti mood and wanting to freak out, this is one best one to play next to Pantera's Far Beyond Driven and Cowboys from Hell (may Dimebag rest in peace). I liked their first album (self titled debut) because it had more popular hits. But looking at the tracks, though not familiar to those who don't own an album, they deserve some air time.

2. Coil (Toad The Wet Sprocket). This is the album of the band just before they split up and ventured into unsuccessful careers. Compared to earlier compilations, this is more upbeat (Rings, Whatever I Fear) and balanced (Dam Will Break, All Things in Time). I have been a TWS fan longer than being a Phoenix Suns follower and it's difficult for me to lose taste in their type of music.

1. Dulcinea (Toad The Wet Sprocket). This is the one that got me hooked. My most favorite rock song of all time is here (Something's Always Wrong). Glenn Phillips voice is just awesome. Though one of my hatest song is also here (guess what is it, is it a song at all?), what surrounds it makes it beautiful. A memorable one too, being the second ever tape (as in cassette tape) I bought (after Celine Dion's Unison) during our class tour to Baguio and Manila.

Disclaimer:
* Automatic for the People and Out Of Time (REM) could not be included because both were a gift from Lara and Goo Goo Dolls's Dizzy Up The Girl is from Cathy. GGD's Ego, Opinion, Art and Commerce comes slightly behind number 10.

Wishlist:
* New Order's International

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home