Elmer Blogger

Friday, April 15, 2005

My first basketball game


At last I had a taste of my first basketball game -- in Hong Kong -- courtesy of my athletic colleagues.

It was last night when we came up with a plan that really pushed through (meaning I went with them). Previous arrangements did not work as I refuse to play on a Good Friday or too busy to leave my desk even if Victoria Park reservations is just a five minute walk.

This time I had the chance to join Jess and Ginny, our marketing executives, programmers Raymond, Kit, Henry, Jan and Simon and project managers Cyrus and Derek. The purpose is not basketball but a two-hour game of table tennis.

Just around the corner in the Centre Court is the HK Champion's Tour tennis tournament which features past champions Goran Ivanisevic, Thomas Muster, Pat Cash, Cedric Pioline and Henry Leconte trying to relive their past glory.

With Simon and Kit
With Simon and Kit

But the basketball court is just as tempting as we were waiting for the 7am tipoff to use the squash-cum-table tennis room. As I touched the ball I recall the last games I used to play -- when I was employed at UIC, at a distant five years ago! I cannot believe it. It's like skipping the game of basketball in my entire college years. And as I try to get hold of the ball, dribble it, shoot and rebound, the feeling of body ache is immediately felt as opposed to the post-day squash body woes. I was panting and my legs were wobbling as if I was running down the court with both my feet soaked in four feet deep water.

Nevertheless the feeling of enjoyment was there. Especially when the game of table tennis (last played even longer -- when I was an SSG officer with the corps commander and SSG President Vincent). I haven't played a doubles game but this one is indeed a good one as four people can play at a time, thanks to Ginny and Raymond's pair of racquet and half a dozen balls.

It's not that I am physically impaired and shunned the playing courts in Hong Kong that it took me a long time to play basketball. I just found no opportunity or at least I was hesitant to do so in my queer effort to avoid embarrassment. I preferred to play squash and table tennis instead. But this time I found redemption and confidence to play again now that the ball was not as heavy as I thought to be. I used to play and think what others think about my move instead of playing the game squarely.

Now I can play.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home