Elmer Blogger

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Congratulations Coconets

I was wondering whatever happened to the item I voted for three months ago. Now at home, I got the chance to confirm it won the worldwide contest.

I am not referring to the online-voted international beauty pageant nor the American Idol contest. It's the BBC's World Challenge, an effort to recognize individual and group efforts that benefit the community they belong. It is also made possible through Shell and Newsweek.

The Philippines' entry is the Coconets, conceptualized by Dr Justino Arboleda, an agricultural engineer who thought the abundance of coconut husks can be used to counter the prevailing problem of soil erotion brought by monsoon rains and typhoons. He founded Juboken Enterprises in 1995 to develop the product. Now it is able to produce 30,000 sq meters of coconets in a month. It has also been exported to countries like Sri Lanka, China and Korea and helped sustain a way of living for 1,500 families in the Philippines.

Among the competitors I would also like to be in the podium are Malta's used oil conversion from a waste that clogs waterways, to useful vehicle fuel. (I remember one Simpson's episode about Homer buying $26 worth of bacon just to extract grease worth a dollar fifty cents max). It won the second prize. I also like Kenya's Bugs Money where "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" thinking of preventing the destruction by mites through finding their enemy bugs; and South Africa's Men At Work programme.

With the way environment has been deteriorating, these efforts bring us inspiration.

Filipinos are definitely talented in these type of areas. I just read recently that a Filipino has been awarded for his discovery on prevention of skin cancer.

This is something I am really proud of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home