Elmer Blogger

Sunday, December 11, 2005

FIFA World Cup Excitement Begins

Ronaldo, Beckham, Owen, Zidane, Ronaldhino, Schevchenko, Figo, Ballack, Crespo, Henry.. the cast doesn't get more popular than these gallant men.

Once again, the world's audience gets pumped up and eagerly counting the days into the opening of the most popular game on Earth's grandest competition -- FIFA World Cup.

In 2002, FIFA World Cup soccer was held in Korea and Japan and it was one of the best experiences I had during my short history of a game I recently began to be passionate of.

Excitement filled the air of Hong Kong, as motherland China was in the competition. Large public screens in Times Square, Sheung Wan and Lan Kwai Fong in Central are packed with people. Football channels' extensive coverage was a draw and shrieks and noise in pubs and bars provide excitement as if one is seated on a far end of the playing field.

I remember in 2002, we had our CLP at Fringe Club and as a first time service team member, I had to buy refreshments. While on my way, I was stuck in a frenzy of adoring fans watching Korea beat Spain, 5-3 in penalty shootout. The euphoria was so intense that I did not mind joining the highly partisan crowd even if I never did anything like that before. When I got back to the seminar, I was too excited to tell one Korean participant that her team just won the quarterfinals.

The games bring a nation together -- in jubilation or defeat, often leading to riots -- and take pride of themselves as part of the inspiration brought by their players in the pitch.

Too bad, the greatness of football is not embraced by a lot of Filipinos. We are ranked somewhere between 170 and 180 in the world. Basketball reigns in the country whose average height easily gets dwarfed by typical point guards. Iloilo and Bacolod is a place where football seem to have found a niche. Mention Barotac Nuevo and you'll almost instantly relate it with football.

As for my guess on who will win the 2006 World Cup, Brazil remains a favorite. I used to adopt England and Japan as my teams in 2002. I think this time I remain loyal to both. Allow me to add host Germany as my third team.

It's just three weeks before 2006 and less than 200 days before the opening of FIFA World Cup in Germany. Indeed, 2006 is a year of sports, where I alo look forward to the World Basketball Championships in Saitama, Japan as well as the Asian Games in Doha, Qatar.

Wow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home