Elmer Blogger

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Davao Homecoming 2005

I spend ten days a year to be with family. And so when the time of the year calls for it, it is a must to book a a couple of round trip tickets (one international and one domestic) before crunch time comes.

This year's travel is patterned after last year: take the latest weekend before the peak season and return just before New Year's Day. The premature return to Hong Kong last year brought loneliness. Living alone and the chilly winter climate fueled the feeling. It inspired me to create a Yahoogroups of my childhood friends.

Usually, before vacation friends ask friends about flying home and when. With such as small place like Hong Kong, it is not surprising to know someone aboard one of the eight HKG-MNL flights of the day. This time, it's Orly, a friend and companion during my sojourn in Beijing last year. He is home to meet his wife and six month-old child.

We had quite a conversation at Gate 49 before boarding the plane; we were seated four rows apart in that Cebu Pacific flight. I my seat assignment was at the last row, just in front of the flight attendants' corner. It was not long before I noticed the freshness inside. Cebu Pacific recently upgraded its fleet which included its Hong Kong destination, one of the few international flights it offers. And even if A320 is relatively small, the atmosphere inside was perfect for a homecoming: brighter lights, smiling crew and the fresh scent of the cabin. I later found out my domestic flight later on is also a brand-new aircraft.

I had short conversations with my seatmates, Filipino chief cook and a sailor based in Marseilles. The flight made me feel good about Cebu Pacific. It's again on time and even reached Manila 15 minutes ahead of schedule, thanks to Captain Casibang.

The feeling of Christmas hasn't been the same for the past few years for me. Gone were the days when I had to attend parties (CFC, SFC Guys, upper households, Benjie and Tintin's, office functions) and receive gifts (by virtue of my birth date, I tend to receive a little more than the others (so far I got one from Karen and another from Cissy). But the sight of the merry singing men greeting us with their jolly rendition of Christmas carols at the airport (at almost 10 o'clock in the evening, man, they are tireless!)

The queue at the immigration was long but the process was efficient. I may not know if mulcting cab drivers demanding US dollars for fare, or porters demanding Christmas gifts still exist, but I am glad of what I see. Customs officials checking my ticket curtly asked, "Kumusta?" which is more of a welcome statement rather than asking how I am.

I did not wait long before the transfer van from the Ninoy Aquino International Airport to Manila Domestic fetched me and companions. I did not mind sitting on the floor, ocassionally reading "The Book of Lists" or glancing at the photos in my camera taken days ago. The bad part of the trip was actually waiting for the next flight to Davao. I had to sit down the floor and wait, along with dozens of fellow passengers whose international flights came in the late hours of the day. Altogether, we and our luggages form a collective set of homesick souls, eager to get up and board the flights at the wee hours of the morning.

My flight to Davao is at 4:30am and is expected to arrive at 6. The task of letting time pass was kinda difficult especially when I got used to struggle with time maintenance due to a lot of things to do in HK. I thought reading the book was a good idea, but it also presented problem as I felt sleepy but lack of provisions only allowed me squat on the floor.

It did not last so long before check in counters opened up for passengers bound for Davao, Cebu, Dumaguete, Iloilo, Cagayan de Oro and Tacloban. I felt hungry and getting a piece of Bavarian delights at Mister Donut seems enough for me.

Aboard the plane the atmosphere is electric, with people finally realizing a progress has been made to get them to their destination. And even if the excitement at the bus to the tarmac was later drowned with sleepy sensations, I am sure many of us have become imaginative at this time.

I knew no one in the plane, except the high school classmate of my brother.

Davao airport is still the same and much better than Manila Domestic (unfortunately since Manila handles many of the flights going to tourist destinations like Boracay and Puerto Galera). I feel safer again, thanks to our Mayor Rodrigo Duterte, and enjoy the world's best quality water supply. Meeting family has always been a great time of the year. I never had lots to talk compared to my first trip back in 2002 but it's more of family affairs which is very important to me, as the eldest of three siblings.

I capped the evening watching DVD of a great performance by Goo Goo Dolls concert in 4th of July 2004 (it got rained out but the concert went on). Awesome first day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home