Elmer Blogger

Monday, December 19, 2005

What is Pinoy Big Brother?

My first full day in Mintal brings me back the to the cradle of my youth.

Hearing Misa de Gallo with my mother and aunt, I met Glenda and Lynn Mae, my sister's friends since grade school; as well as my high school principal Ms Cepe and second year class advisor Mrs Broncano whose lines on her face are reminiscent of the 13 years since I left Holy Cross of Mintal.

At the grounds of Immaculate Conception Parish is where I had my formative adolescent years. I had been a member of KOTAS for four years, two in Legion of Mary (with my sister and cousin) and lector for one year. It was those years when Boy London and Blowing Bubbles were a fad and USED brand name had satanic acronym.

At home, it's so relaxing to listen to Mellow Touch and WRock while finding myself starting to fall asleep. Listening to morning news and Cebuano is what I also looked forward to do while I am in Davao.

And even if Pinoy Big Brother is very popular that Melissa is even raving about it, I have a little idea what it is. But I do like the current hit called "Pinoy Ako" by Orange and Lemons.

Taking a walk at sun-baked scorching hot streets filled nostalgia in the past when I used to take a walk around with Rodel, Jergen and Badoy with Bazooka and tira-tira on our pockets as we argue if Mellow Yellow is better than Mountain Dew. The streets appeared to have narrowed and many of the shops have changed owners or new ones popped in front of some houses.

The household name of "Punsa" bakery, the most popular one in Mintal used to be teeming with old folks for an afternoon coffee talk and oozing with the smell of fresh afternoon pan de sal, seemed deserted by patrons at the time of my reconnaisance. New banks emerged in sight and the old folks catering to my hungry palates when not cooking at home like "Poping" and "Leclec" eateries, remained true to their strengths in the kitchen.

I was expecting an old high school classmate showing up in a passenger-type motorcycle picking up clients in the public market to places like Bago Oshiro, Tacunan or Camp San Gabriel. Not one familiar face was in sight.

Unlike Hong Kong where there seems no space unoccupied in the central areas, I am in a sleepy place, whose time seemed to move a step slower. And it better be, for I am here only for a short while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home